Skip to content

Surgery Door
Search our Site
Tip: Try using OR to broaden your
search e.g: Cartilage or joints

Gynaecologists, obstetricians and abdominal and vaginal specialists in the UK

A gynaecologist or gynecologist is a doctor who specialises in treating diseases of the female reproductive organs (uterus, vagina, and ovaries). The word "gynaecologist" comes from the Greek gyno, gynaikos meaning woman + logia meaning study, so a gynaecologist is literally a student of women, a women's doctor.

Almost all modern gynaecologists are also obstetricians.  Obstetrics is the surgical specialty dealing with the care of a woman and her offspring during pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (the period shortly after birth).

The main conditions dealt with by a gynaecologist are :-

  • Cancer of the reproductive organs including ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, and vulva

  • Incontinence of urine.

  • Amenorrhoea (absent menstrual periods)

  • Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstrual periods)

  • Infertility

  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual periods). This is a common indication for hysterectomy.

  • Prolapse of pelvic organs

The professional body in the UK which is responsible for training and regulating medical practitioners who specialise in obstetrics and gynaecology is the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.


Featured gynaecologists and abdominal and vaginal specialists