Skip to content

Surgery Door
Search our Site
Tip: Try using OR to broaden your
search e.g: Cartilage or joints

Cancer specialists in the UK

An oncologist is a doctor who specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.  Some oncologists may specialise in a particular area of cancer treatment such as paediatric oncologists. They deal with the use of radiotherapy or drugs (chemotherapy) to treat cancer and may work closely with a surgeon who specialises in cancer treatment (a surgical oncologist). A clinical oncologist will administer radiotherapy treatment.

Orthopaedic oncology surgeons specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of bone or soft tissue tumor which is either benign (unable to spread) or malignant (able to spread to other parts of the body, especially to the lungs or other bones).

Malignant tumors, bone and soft tissue, also known as sarcomas are a relatively rare form of cancer which often require treatment with drugs (chemotherapy) and/or radiation therapy and major surgery.  Surgery involves wide resection (complete removal of the tumor and a little normal and reactive surrounding tissue) with options to spare the limb (referred to as limb-sparing procedures).

Featured cancer specialists