Skip to content

Surgery Door
Search our Site
Tip: Try using OR to broaden your
search e.g: Cartilage or joints

Twins (or more)

Parents with only one child often think that having two together is much the same sort of experience, but doubled. If you have twins, you’ll know differently. Caring for twins, or more, is very different from caring for two of different ages. There’s certainly a lot more work, and often you need to find different ways of doing things.

You need as much support as you can get. If you’ve more than two babies you may be able to get a home help from your local council or in Northern Ireland from your local Health and Social Services Trust.

Find out what their policy is. A few hours of help with housework a week could make a big difference. If your council doesn’t provide home helps, ask your health visitor for any suggestions.

The Multiple Births Foundation also offers professional support and a range of direct services to families of twins and other multiple births.

You may get a lot of help from family and friends, but it also helps to be in contact with other parents of twins.

The Twins and Multiple Births Association (TAMBA) offers a lot of helpful information, including information about local Twins Clubs. Through these clubs you can meet other parents whose experiences are like yours, and get support and practical advice. Often you can get secondhand equipment too, such as twin prams and buggies.

We are indebted to Health Promotion England for their help in compiling this section.